Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Washingtons- When Little Boys Grow Up

It's a Thursday afternoon like any other, and Beth Washington is making peanut butter sandwiches for her brood when they all arrive home from work and school.


The oldest boys get home first, Charles from his job as a Yes Man at Capital Hill, and Brennan from his job at Rosedale Academy as a substitute teacher.  Payton and Olive follow- the high school lets out an hour before the elementary. 


Audrey gets off the bus and heads straight for her painting easel.  Audrey has been painting since she was 6, her Mom says she used to finger paint before she could even read.  Sometimes she'll stand at her canvas for hours, completely zoned out from her chaotic household with such a big family.


Rhett challenges his older brother Shawn to a game.



After the sandwiches, Beth pulls out a birthday cake, and brings it out onto the patio to celebrate Payton's birthday! She's been dreading this day- it scares the pants off her that her kids are becoming adults.  All the family gathers around to sing "Happy Birthday" and have Payton blow out his candles.


That's one benefit of having so many brothers and sisters, you don't need anybody else to have yourself a party!


Payton blowing out his candles...


Here's Payton as a young adult! He's grown into a fun-loving, wild, adventurous guy with a great sense of humor and the mentality of trying anything once. What he lacks in responsibility he makes up for in personality.  He also loves his drumset...



After eating some cake with the fam, Brennan sneaks out front to call his girlfriend Charlotte.  "Sorry I didn't call you early, we were having some cake from Payton's birthday! Hey guess what! I got a raise today babe! That extra income plus your recent promotion puts us in a really good spot! I've been looking at some houses....I really think we can afford the rent!" He can practically feel Charlotte's excitement through the phone.  "Really? Jeez this is all so surreal. We're really doing it Bren, we're really proving our parents wrong. So what if we're a year out of high school, I'm really starting to believe this could be a reality!"  Brennan smiles. " I know. Listen, I gotta run, I don't want my parents questions. Particularly my mother's."  "Sometimes I get the feeling she doesn't like me, Bren." She sounds sad.  "It's not you, " Brennan mutters. "She's just- like that. She's judgmental and stubborn, she doesn't like that we're so serious because she thinks we're too young.  Trust me, she couldn't pick out someone better for me than you. I gotta go.  Hey, will you let me take you out tomorrow night? I'll pick you up."  "Anything you want, handsome. See ya. Love you." "Love you more." Click.  Brennan hangs up with a grin on his face, and fingers something in his pocket before heading up to bed.



The night grinds to a halt and all the Washingtons head to bed.



Beth has basically given up sleeping in the same bed with Charles, his snoring had gotten so bad.  She also thinks sometimes, sadly, that he doesn't even act like he misses her.


The next day is Payton's graduation, and everyone sleeps in. When Olive gets up, she pitches in cleaning the house...


And then plays Super Mario Brothers with her brothers Payton, Shawn and Rhett. 


Then decides to practice her public speaking for her next meeting of "Future Leaders of America." Looks like Charles might get one of his kids to go into politics after all.



Little quiet and shy mysterious Audrey, quite out of character, decides to pay her little brother Shawn back for a prank he pulled on her the other day involving a chair and a whoopee cushion.  She sneaks in some dye to his shampoo that morning and then runs out of the bathroom giggling. She knows she'll be the last to be suspected if he goes ratting to their parents.


Shawn gets a mean surprise when he steps out of the shower.  Thankfully, it washes out (or he would be attending his brother's graduation that way), and he secretly declares a prank war on his sister...


Then Audrey, humming, heads to her canvas very innocently...


Beth is busy hammering away on her latest political book "Media Cancer"; her publicist assures her that this one is a winner...


Payton calls girlfriend Amelia Robinson to discuss excitedly their impending graduation.


Grady Elfman, the male maid comes over for his daily sweep and is sure to make his normal small talk with Beth.  Beth always loves the way he looks at her- she misses the days when her husband looked at her like that...


Whe mid-day rolls around, the Washington family heads to Rosedale Academy for graduation.  Beth cries the whole time, and Payton graduates with honors.


Afterwards, they all head to Shady Glen to celebrate, but Brennan bails, saying he has an important meeting...



Which, in truth, he does.  He heads over to Central Park after making an important phone call- to Charlotte's father, Teddy.


"Hi, Mr. Robinson."  "Brennan, I think we've known each other long enough for you to call me Teddy. What's this about? Why did you want to meet me here?" Brennan swallows hard. "Ok well erm-Teddy- I well, I called you here to day because...I want to talk to you about your daughter."


Teddy looks concerned.  Brennan clears his throat. "I wanted to do this the right way, Sir.  I want you to know that I've been working as hard as I can to earn enough money to provide a stable life for your daughter.  I know that both our families see us as too young to make such a committment, but what I feel for your daughter is not a high school crush.  What we have is real, and good, and forever, and I was hoping- I am asking- your permission- to-" Brennan forces the words out. "...to marry your daughter." Hopefully that sounded as sincere as it had in the mirror this morning. He meant every word.


Teddy is silent for what seems like hours.  Brennan shifts awkwardly, not knowing what else to say.  He wasn't prepared for him to say no. Maybe this was a bad idea...
Finally, Teddy finds his voice. "Brennan- you are a fine young man.  I'm a firm believer in letting my girls make their own way.  I wouldn't ever keep her from something that brings her happiness.  But if its my permission you want- then you have it." He manages a smile.  Brennan lights up like a Christmas tree.


"Wow Sir, really!? Thank you!"  He throws a hug on Charles and then says. "Well then, I guess I've got somewhere to be." Charles chuckles in an ironic sort of way. "Yes boy, I guess you do." 


While this exchange is taking place, Payton is leaving lunch with his family, and decides to stop in at the Fire Department- he's heard through the grapevine that they are opening up a spot for a new Firefighter Trainee.


After having a talk with the Fire Chief Jamie Glenister, its clear to Payton that this is where he belongs. Hima and Jamie click instantly, and he's offered the job on the spot! Before heading home he sticks around for a bit to chat with his new co-workers...


The younger kids ride their bikes to Romper Recreational Playground and play in the sandbox.


Brenna, driving his car a little too fast, picks up Charlotte and heads to one of her favorite places- Stoney Falls. Their school used to go on camping weekends at Stoney Falls Campground when they were in high school, and Charlotte always says that this is the place that she remembers falling in love with him.


They can see almost all of Rosedale from here...


"Well, this is romantic." Charlotte giggles once they arrive at Stoney Falls.  "Didn't you tell me to where a dress? I'm not exactly in camping gear here, Bren."  Brennan grins. "Do you trust me?"  Charlotte sighs.  "With my life."



 Brennan's eyes twinkle and he pulls out a big bouquet of fragrant pure white roses, Charlotte's favorite. "Hun, these are gorgeous! Sheesh, what's the occasion?  This is better than our last date, when we just did laundry together!"  "Will you shush and just let me be romantic please?"  "Oh sorry. I'm ruining the mood. Shutting up..." Charlotte smiles.  He even made laundry fun, for the record. 


"You know, if you keep spoiling me like this, I'm going to learn to expect it!" Charlotte warns jokingly, and Brennan pulls her closer.


She feels Brennan's mood suddenly change as he grows serious. "I always knew it was you, Char. I don't know how, but I just knew. There's not a doubt in my mind that this is right.  You're my best friend. Everyone says that, ya know, but you really are mine.  I don't want to spend another day without making you mine forever."


Charlotte's stomach lurches as she realizes where this is going.  Brennan lets her go and drops shakily to his knee.



"Which is why-I wanted to ask you...." He fiddles in his pocket, and Charlotte's feels her fingers go numb.  "Charlotte May Robinson, would you make me the happiest man alive, and marry me?"



Charlotte couldn't breathe. "Bren-I knew we talked about-but-didn't think-so soon-oh-my-gosh."  Tears sprung out on her cheeks and were blown away by the wind.  "Is this really happening? Oh my God Brennan, I didn't think we'd ever get here- I can't believe this!"




 Brennan teetered on his knee. "So-is that a-" "It's a YES, you stupid boy!" And she flung into his arms.


Back at the Washington house, Olive Washington was prepping for her big prom night! Olive was hitting the prom stag- most girls would be horrified, but Olive had actually turned down several offers. She was an independent, confident girl, and wanted to spend the night with her girlfriends.


Her mom snuck in with a camera and despite Olive's protests, Beth smiled and said "Just act normal! Trust me, your kids will want to watch this."


"You look beautiful hunny."  Beth gushed and Olive gave her a quick hug.  "You're such a sap Mother." A car beeped outside. "My ride's here Mom! Gotta run!"


And Olive was off to her Junior Prom.


Payton watches TV at home, and when a program comes on about a wedding, he wonders how is brother is fairing.  Brennan let him in on his little plan, and he was sworn to secrecy.  He hopes his close minded parents don't respond the way he's fearing they might.


Brennan whisks his fiance Charlotte off to a romantic dinner at the Italian bistro, and over dinner Charlotte is positively glowing. "So wait, my parents know?!" Charlotte remarks. "Yes. Mine however, don't. Yet." says Brennan.  Charlotte's smile fades a little. "Oh." "Don't worry, they'll get used to the idea, it's ok.  I've been warming them up for awhile."  "Brennan, we're only 19, they're gonna need a lot more than warming up...."  "Well, the way I figure, we'll have a 6-8 month engagement.  We'll both be 20 by then, and that will give you enough time to plan the wedding." Charlotte brightens. "Now, THAT I'm looking forward too...."


When Brennan and Charlotte arrive back at the Washington Estate, his sister Olive brushes by him all dressed up, waving to her friends in the car that dropped her off, mutters something about a boy named Ethan Bunch, and rushes inside. He'd have to investigate that later.  He tells Charlotte to wait outside. Just in case things got ugly-which was extremely unluckily, he assures her.  He finds his parents in the dining room and calls them over.


Well, now or never. "So I'm just gonna say this, and I'm asking you both to be reasonable.  I-I asked Charlotte to marry me tonight. And she said yes."

Crickets.

"Brennan! Wow!  This is sooner than we expected....but that's great! You know we love Charlotte...Congratulatons!" His Dad pulls him into a hug. Well that wasn't so bad.


But his Mother turned away from him, and didn't say a word.


She turned from them and ran up the stairs.


She barely makes it to her bedroom....


.....before bursting into tears.


And as Beth curled up on her bed and sobbed, feeling as though she was losing everyone..


....just outside the front door, Brennan comforted his soon-to-be bride, whispered promises of the future in her ear, and felt like he was gaining everything.



2 comments:

  1. Totally love it!
    I think a cool twist would be if they had a mid life crisis baby. You know one way unexpected! Maybe that would help Beth with her "Empty Nest" syndrom....just a thought.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! I actually have other plans for Beth, but thats a great idea! Will totally consider it! Thank you for reading...<3

    ReplyDelete